I'm tired so a little more about me...

In my previous "About me" post, I mostly talked about my experience with movies. But I've been tired and busy this week with work things so I am going to switch things up and talk about that instead.

What kind of a job brings an academic to the middle of nowhere? 

I do agricultural research. Specifically I work with farmers on ways to minimize fertilizer loss from their fields. That's a win-win. They don't have to spend as much money on fertilizer and the rest of us get cleaner water. My work branches out beyond that to soil conservation and also to testing strategies we can use when a field keeps losing nutrients beyond what the farmer can control. "Legacy Phosphorus" is one example of that (In plain English: The farmer's grandfather applied so much animal manure to one spot that it still actively pollutes the water). 

One of the great things about my day job is that I get to do a lot of working with people. But one of the not-so-great parts is that sometimes I have to travel pretty far to get to those people. On Tuesday I gave a webinar from the comfort of my own home (awesome). On Wednesday I drove a little over an hour for a lunch meeting (not too bad). On Thursday I drove three hours to meet with a group that wants my help with their crops (I'm flattered but exhausted). 

We have some family visiting this week so the blog may be quiet as we entertain guests and I recuperate some mental energy. But I do intend on subjecting them to the horrors of Borderlands in the theater. As I write this it has a 7% on Rotten Tomatoes. I also attempted to play the original 1992 Alone in the Dark this week because we owned it on steam. I have not watched the Uwe Boll adaptation yet but all I can say is that I'm really hoping Tara Reid attempts a southern accent.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Before we begin - A little about me

Resident Evil (2002)