Before we begin - A little about me

Welcome Blaugust aficionados (and of course anyone else who happens upon the blog)!

I am really excited to be starting this shiny new blog for Blaugust 2024. I do occasionally write blog posts for work but I've never had my own blog before. When Everwake told me that Blaugust was starting soon and that he was signing up, I decided that this was my year. And I've decided to use this corner of the internet to geek out about movies.

My theme for the month of August is going to be "Video Game Adaptations." More on that later.

Before we begin a little about me...

I have always loved watching movies, but I didn't realize how avid of a movie watcher I was until somewhat recently. I borrowed countless movies from my public library, watched movies on cable (but not HBO, my father was not paying for that), and rented movies from the grocery store. Remember renting movies from the grocery store?? But it just seemed like normal stuff everyone was doing. The day of prom everyone watches The Spy Who Loved Me while getting ready, right? 

I'd have to say that I got really serious about watching movies shortly after finishing my PhD (I do have a real-life PhD to back up the "Dr" in "Dr Flamingo"). Around that time my real-life husband Everwake shared the Filmstruck streaming service with me and I got really serious about tracking the films I was watching. It's always hard to pick favorites but my favorite genre might be film noir.

Besides movies and working, I also enjoy adventuring with Everwake and Everdog. I play videogames as well, but mostly stick to puzzle games and rougelikes (Slay the Spire, Darkest Dungeon, and Balatro are some of my favorites). I have a million different crafting hobbies. Sometimes I crochet, sometimes I cross stitch, sometimes I paint. Right now, I've been enjoying painting Warhammer miniatures. 

Back to this month's theme...

As I mentioned before, I wanted to pick a theme for my Blaugust movie-review posts. Once I heard that Borderlands was coming out in August, I decided on reviewing video game adaptation movies. I played computer games some as a kid, but the only console I had was a Game Boy so I could play Pokemon. I thought this would be a fun way to check in on some of the films I haven't seen or to rewatch some of them now that I know a little more about the games than I did the first time around. Plus Everwake helped me curate the list to make sure I hit (most) of the important ones. 

That's all for today's post! I'll start the first review tomorrow. We're starting with a classic zombie film, Resident Evil (2002). I do have a Letterboxd account where I track (and rate) everything I watch in real time. But be warned that you may see *spoilers* of my movie ratings before I post them on the blog. I have a mastodon account (@FlamingoPhD) that I literally just started posting on so feel free to join me there. And if you haven't already, be sure to check out Everwake's blog The Everjournal.


Comments

  1. Welcome to Blaugust! Movie adaptations (Of books, comics, games...) is a fascinating topic. Looking forward to reading your posts on that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! This is my first #blaugust as a participant. Every blog I look at gives me ideas: I look forward to catch a few of your movie-related posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Video Game Adaptations. And I just watched the Silent Hill movie for the first time a week or two ago :) I look forward to your thoughts on this genre.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, that is an interesting topic! Hello 😊 I actually became a LOT more interested in movies last year all of a sudden, so I have a few movie posts to write, myself. But video game adaptations is an interesting topic (well I guess I'm repeating myself now), I didn't realise there were so many! Looking forward to your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to Blaugust! It's always great to see a shiny new blog for the event. Best of luck in your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome! Glad to see you take the plunge. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Resident Evil (2002)